The Season 1 Breaking Smart workshop is an in-depth introduction to the nature of major technological transformations, with particular focus on how “software is eating the world.” Get in touch if you are interested in bringing the workshop to your organization or group.
Calendar of Workshops
- Fort Worth, TX, May 10, 2016 (private event)
- Bucaramanga, Colombia, April 14, 2016 (invite-only event)
- Guggenheim Museum, New York, Nov 6th, 2015 (invite-only event)
- Deutsche Bank, London, September 14, 2015 (private event)
- Campus London, September 11, 2015 (public)
- GDI, Zurich, September 9, 2015 (private event)
- Exosphere, Chile, April 2015 (part of Hydra II bootcamp)
The material is ideal for informing any discussion of how individuals, groups and organizations can participate most powerfully in this profound “software eating the world” transformation. Currently, the material is only available in English. The workshop can be delivered either as an intensive 2-hour overview format or an extended and interactive 8-hour format. The longer form can be spread over multiple days as part of a larger event.
The full workshop comprises four 90-minute interactive sessions delivered over one full day or spread across multiple days. The content can be customized for specific audiences and contexts, and delivered either virtually or on-site.
- The first session, A New Soft Technology, is based on essays 1-3 and lays the groundwork for understanding a world being eaten by software.
- The second session, The Message of the Medium, is based on essays 4-8 and explores the unique characteristics of software as a force of technological change.
- The third session, Surveillance, Inequality and Everything, is based on essays 9-13 and explores the nature of societal change in response to deep technological forces, with particular reference to software.
- The final session, A Tale of Two Computers, is based on essays 14-20 and explores the emerging systems and capabilities of a world based on software infrastructure.
Each session is structured around a stormdeck — a slide deck built around a core narrative in tweetstorm format — designed to introduce key concepts, arguments and ideas. Each session also includes structured breakout sessions designed to allow participants to get comfortable working with the ideas. Click the links above for the tweetstorm summary of each session.
Get in touch if you are interested in bringing the workshop to your organization or group.